Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Poe

Edgar Allen Poe was one of the great early American authors and one of the best examples of a Romantic. In all of his works, the "5 I's" are clearly evident, and that is why I like Poe's works.
The first I is imagination. I think that it's nice to see some more abstract and imaginative works rather than something as rigid as what was found in literature of the Age of Reason. Ligeia is an example of great use of imagination. While some may find it "weird," I just found it very interesting how Poe created an atmosphere and environment in his writing.
The second I is intuition. Poe's writing tended to be based off of feelings and was rather spontaneous, just as was expressed in the Wordsworth quote that called Romantic writing a "spontaneous overflow of powerful feeling." The emotions Poe expressed were very powerful indeed--the depression in the House of Usher, the remembrance of the lost Lenore in The Raven, among many others. 
Idealism is the third I. Poe seems to be an avid supporter of idealism, most clearly in The Fall of the House of Usher. That book uses an imaginative setting to convey the idea that the artistic elite will fall and that the cracks in the aristocracy are in the foundation and cannot be ignored.
Inspiration is the 4th I. Poe's writings were clearly inspired by nature and the natural world. The setting of the House of Usher makes the natural elements (such as the tarn) around it play a major role. Additionally, Poe uses the Raven to express a point, which shows he idea that nature is alive and has supernatural powers.
The final I is Individualism, or perhaps just "I." Poe emphasizes the individual by limiting the number of characters, making each one more important and allowing him to develop them further, giving them each their own individual voice. Additionally, there is no omniscient narrator--but rather an individual voice.
Will there be another writer whose works express these 5 I's as well as Poe?
Quoth the Raven--Nevermore.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you referenced each of the five "I's" in your blog and related it to Poe, it made your blog very interesting and I could clearly see your point of view on Poe.

    ReplyDelete